My quilts are a dedication to the memory of my Son. I miss you my Danny Boy. Every Quilt is made with Love. Every stitch contains a teardrop. Every quilt gives the gift of a Hug.

Tuesday 10 January 2012

Climbing a Mountain

My life during the last 18 months has in many ways felt like I have been climbing a mountain. A very large mountain. Have you ever seen photos or a documentary of someone climbing with no rope and using little pieces of rock for toe and finger holds. This has been my life.

I have no experience as a mountain climber. I just know I have to be strong enough to make it to the top of the mountain. During this climb there has not been many places to stop and take a breath or a much deserved rest. Then when I think I can not take one more step and or pull yourself up one more foot towards the top. Something wonderful happens. 

Today something wonderful happened. For a few moments today I was able to stop and enjoy the beautiful sunset as I rested on the side of the mountain.

I have posted previously about some of what my family has had to endure during the past year and half. First my Husband's accident and then the unbelievable loss of my youngest son. Unfortunately that was not all and I have asked my self many times (how much can a family endure). During the past year our Son In-law was diagnosed with Cancer. You can only imagine how this family who were already raw with emotion was able to deal with this news. We were barely able to take it in. My beautiful daughter was and is so strong. We as a family were able to struggle through, and our struggle was so worth it. After surgery the Doctors were confident that they had removed all the Cancer. He will have to continue to have check ups but so far all reports have been good. This was one of the moments on the mountain that I was able to stop and enjoy the view.

But today I had another moment and I want to share it with all of you wonderful people. You have encouraged me and sent me warm wishes and I appreciate them so much. I feel that in someway my son has guided me to my quilting and to find each and everyone of you. He knew you would help me work through my grief.

Now for my news. Last month we had made arrangements with a shipping company to have all of my Son's personal items sent home. This also included all his Art work. We received his personal belongings but all of his Art work was missing. He was a gifted artist and the one painting I wanted more than  anything was a self portrait. I was devastated at this additional loss. The shipping company searched every depot and found nothing. They were giving up hope but then today a miracle happened. We received a phone call that they had found his Art Work. Tonight I am resting on the side of the mountain.

13 comments:

Sherri B. said...

That is such good news about your son-in-law and your precious son's Art Work, you will sleep well tonight! xo

Vee said...

Kim sent me here to read your story. I am absolutely blown away by it and your amazing choice to create quilts as a way to cope with grief.

How wonderful that your darling son's art work has been found and that it will soon be returned to you.

Welcome to Blogdom. It is a wonderful place and I hope that you will very much enjoy it here and that it will give you another outlet for sharing.

camp and cottage living said...

Beverly
I anyone deserves to hear good news, it's you!
Both about you SIL and your son's artwork.
I hope you will share it with us when it arrives!
I can see that your blog is going to be an inspiration to many of us out here in blogland.
You've shown great strength in such pain and loss. I look forward to my visits here.
Blessings-Kimberly

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

What wonderful news...both about your SIL and also that you will recover the lost art work. I hope you can share some of the art here with us!
Be sure to relish these moments of rest take a deep breath.

Cindy said...

I'm so glad to hear that you have received some good news! God is good and He does hear and answer prayer!
Hugs, Cindy

debi said...

Beverly, Kimberly at Camp Cottage sent me your way. What a post... So true...we do need each other and it's not buy chance we have all found each other. God's puts others in our paths for reasons we don't always see at first.
Glad to be on the path with you and so glad you found rest on the side of the mountain.
Sorry for your sorrow...glad the art work is on the way :-)
Hugs!!!

Debbie said...

I am so glad that Kim sent me over here to visit. I am happy to hear that you have found some rest on the side of that mountain, and am rejoicing with you not only for the news about your sil, but also that they have found your son's art work! Praise God...Hopefully you can share some of it here. I would love to see some of the quilts too. What a wonderful way to keep busy...Welcome to blogland! HUGS, Debbie

no spring chicken said...

Praise the Lord. I'm thanking Him with you..

Blessings, Debbie

Linda said...

My heart goes out to you in all that you have had to endure. I don't know why some people have so much more heartbreak and grief than others, but I do believe that God loves each of us and can bring good out of bad circumstances. I will pray that you can feel his loving arms around you when you feel lonely and hurt. Perhaps the art work was sent at just the time you really needed it most. You are in my prayers!

Vee said...

Ohhhh, I'm here again. How fun! Sometimes blog names and blog profile names leave me wondering. I'll try to keep two and two together, but don't worry if I forget again. Thanks for becoming a follower...much appreciated!

Vee said...

Okay, I came back to erase the comment and then saw the verification box for the first time. It was NOT there before. ☺

Barb said...

Oh my gosh, I am soooooooooooooooooo sad for you and what all you have gone through. You must be one strong person and that is where your daughter gets her strength from. I am glad the pictures were found ... my heart goes out to your and your family!!!

Lorraine said...

Found you today, and what a story! I cannot imagine what it must be like to lose a child, your strengths ideals are wonderful and will stay with me along the way. I promise not too waste time. I do hope quilting brings you the comfort you so deserve, I will add you to the list of of blogs I follow and will be thinking of you as I sew my quilts.
Lorraine.
over at Monkey Business and Quilts.